Volunteering at Barb's Precious Rescue - Getting Started
What is Barb's Precious Rescue all about?
- Our mission at Barb's Precious Rescue and Adoption Center is to create a safe and humane haven by providing medical attention, food, shelter and love for cats that have been abused, abandoned or neglected. We are a volunteer, not-for-profit, 501(C)(3) organization with all funds directly assisting our animals, and we are a no-kill facility.
- Our initial focus is on cats and kittens. The long range plan includes space for dogs available for adoption following completion of an addition to our building in 2019. Fundraising for this construction has begun and the expansion is currently in progress!
- The animals in our care will be provided with a safe, nurturing environment, and will ultimately be placed in a loving forever home. Our compassionate volunteers are committed to caring for and socializing our rescued friends. Our home-style open environment allows our rescue animals to enjoy their transition in a cage-free environment. Sick or injured animals are lodged in separate quarters where they have a quiet environment in which to recover before being placed for adoption.
What skills do I need in order to volunteer at Barb's Precious Rescue?
- Work well with animals.
- Follow instructions.
- Get along with the Lead Volunteers.
- If you suffer from cat allergies you might experience symptoms while at the shelter.
What do I need to do to start volunteering at Barb's Precious Rescue?
What am I expected to do while volunteering at Barb's Precious Rescue?
- Sign in and out as instructed.
- Stay for the entire shift (shifts are 2 ½ hours).
- Follow procedures given to clean your assigned room i.e.: scoop litter boxes; replace soiled blankets; wipe down all areas of the room with cleaning solution; sweep and mop floor; refill all dry food and water bowls; clean kennels (if any); anything else requested by the Lead Volunteer.
- Once the cleaning load is taken care of for all rooms you are welcome to stay and play with the cats/kitties. (You may stay after the shift ends).
- If you notice any health issues with any of our cats please notify a Lead Volunteer.
- Do not bring any friends or relatives to the shelter during your volunteer shift.
What am I supposed to wear while volunteering at Barb's Precious Rescue?
- Any old shirt, pants, socks and closed toe shoes in case they get damaged. (Smock tops will be provided).
- Wear sleeved shirts, pants, or scrubs to reduce the degree of injury from bites and scratches to arms and legs.
- Sorry no shorts, sandals, dress shoes, tank tops, offensive clothing. If you are wearing these you will not be permitted to volunteer that day
Volunteer Hours Available:
- 9am - 11:30am
- 6:30pm - 9pm
- Saturday: 7am – 9am
- Monday & Wednesday: 4pm – 6:30pm